What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a condition in which a person’s breathing stops several times while sleeping. A person can experience both apnea, a cessation of breathing, as well as hypopnea, a blockage of the airway causing low or shallow breathing. Either way, the brain is not getting the oxygen it needs when sleep apnea occurs.
The best way to diagnose sleep apnea is to have a sleep study conducted. During a sleep study, you spend the night at a sleep center where a physician reviews and analyzes your oxygen levels and brain waves while you are sleeping.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
Symptoms of periodontal disease can cause a multitude of problems, including:
- Constant snoring
- Waking up throughout the night
- Struggling to breathe while sleeping
- Feeling extremely drowsy upon waking
- Headaches in the morning
- Falling asleep easily throughout the day
How is Sleep Apnea Treated?
There are two forms of treatment for sleep apnea:
- CPAP machine (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) that delivers oxygen through a nose or mouth mask.
- Dental appliance used alongside or in place of a CPAP machine.
Severity of Sleep Apnea
During a sleep study, you will be diagnosed with a specific level of sleep apnea severity. What does this mean? A sleep apnea event is considered to be a complete cessation of breathing for 10 seconds. The number of events per hour determine the severity of sleep apnea of which you are diagnosed:
- Mild sleep apnea – We recommend a custom-fitted dental appliance that supports the jaw in a forward position in order to help maintain an open upper airway.
- Moderate sleep apnea – We suggest either the use of a CPAP machine or dental appliance.
- Severe sleep apnea – We highly recommend the use of a CPAP machine, or CPAP and dental appliance together.
Our dental clinic works with a number of highly recommended sleep doctors in the Carmel area. We are happy to give you a referral to any of these specially trained physicians.
Gentle Dental Care in Carmel, IN
Request an appointment to learn more about our sleep apnea treatments by calling (317) 844-0592. Located in Carmel, IN, we serve Fishers, Zionsville, and all surrounding communities. Alongside our sleep apnea dental appliances, we also provide several dental services such as cosmetic dentistry, implant dentistry, restorative care, periodontal treatment, full mouth rehabilitation, and thorough dental cleanings and exams.