Comprehensive Dental Exams
We will perform a comprehensive dental examination during your first visit to our office. At your regular checkup visits, Dr. Wood and his Licensed Dental Hygienist (LDH) will perform a periodic oral evaluation that includes the following diagnostic procedures:
- Clinical examination of the teeth and existing restorations to check for cracks, tooth decay, and any abnormal conditions.
- Examination of the dental x-rays. X-rays are necessary to detect tooth decay, loss of the bone supporting the teeth, and abnormal conditions in the bone. These x-rays are taken at an interval specific to each patient’s conditions and needs.
- Periodontal examination to check the gums and bone around the teeth for any indication of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Oral cancer screening examination in order to detect abnormalities in the tissues in and around the mouth, face, and neck.
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) screening examination.
- Evaluation of the patient’s symptoms and attention to the patient’s concerns relating to their teeth or other oral structures.