Professional Dental Cleaning
A professional dental cleaning is a preventive service performed by Dr. Wood’s Licensed Dental Hygienist (LDH). At your dental cleaning appointment, we will perform a clinical examination of the teeth and do the following:
- Remove dental plaque, a soft, sticky film that continually forms on and between the surfaces of the teeth. Plaque is responsible for gingivitis, periodontal disease (gum disease), and tooth decay.
- Remove tartar (dental calculus), the hard substance formed by the mineralization of the softer dental plaque.
- Polish and floss the teeth to remove stains and debris.
- Apply topical fluoride when necessary.
- Perform an oral cancer screening examination.
- Take and examine any necessary x-rays.
- Dr. Wood will diagnose any evidence of periodontal disease.
- Provide oral hygiene instruction to let you know how to better care for your teeth and gums between checkup appointments.